12th June 2023
- November 2018: Traffic Orders confirmed
- Early 2019: Site preparation and utilities re-routing
- Summer 2019: Complete detailed design and discharge planning conditions
- Late Autumn 2019: Construction begins (land in Montague Park north of railway line)
- Autumn 2020: Main construction begins on remainder of scheme
- Winter 2021/2022: Road open for traffic (February 2022) and Waterloo Road level crossing closed
Current project status
Planning permission for this scheme was granted in April 2018. Work on the northern approach to the new bridge in Montague Park began late 2019. Construction on the remainder of the scheme south of the railway line began in Autumn 2020.
The new road offers improved access to and from London Road via William Heelas Way and over the new bridge, while the Waterloo Road level crossing at Clay Lane has been permanently closed.
Further details of progress can be found in the project newsletters below.
A planning application for the scheme was submitted in Autumn 2017 under reference 172934. Planning consent was granted in February 2018.
Further information can be found in the:
- South Wokingham Distributor Road Exhibition Boards (PDF document)
- South Wokingham Distributor Road Frequently Asked Questions (PDF document).
Design and construction
Design and construction was carried out working closely with Network Rail. Construction of the approaches to the new bridge north of the railway line in Montague Park began late in 2019, with works on the remainder of the scheme south of the railway beginning in Autumn 2020. The new road opened in February 2022.
To stay up to speed with all our Major Highways projects you can use our online form to sign up to our newsletter.
For more a detailed update about the Eastern Gateway section of the South Wokingham Distributor Road, sign up to our contractor Balfour Beatty’s individual project newsletters by emailing them at SWDR@balfourbeatty.com.
Take a look at the newsletters below: