Last updated:

18th March 2024

Alcohol and entertainment

Making an application

qualifying club should apply for a club premises certificate.

You will need to let us know:

  • Club premises details and the name and address of the club secretary
  • The licensable activities you want to provide at the premises and the times when you would like to be able to provide them
  • Your opening hours
  • A detailed plan of the premises - you can find out more about this in our guidance the steps that you will take to promote the four licensing objectives
  • A copy of the club rules.

Club declaration

You will need to provide a declaration of your qualifying club status.

A qualifying club applying for a club premises certificate does not need a personal licence holder identified as a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) as there is no sale of alcohol by retail taking place.

To apply

Complete the application document below.

Email applications to

Or send to:

Wokingham Borough Council
Shute End, Wokingham
RG40 1BN

Further information can also be found on the GOV.UK website.


After you've submitted your application, you must display a blue notice at the premises for 28 days and place an advertisement in a local newspaper within the first 10 working days of the submission date.

There will be a consultation period for 28 days from the date you submitted the application during which responsible authorities and other people (e.g. local residents or businesses) can object.

Consultation with specified responsible authorities is part of the application process.
If there are no objections, the club premises certificate will be granted.

If there are objections, the Licensing Sub-Committee will consider the application at a public hearing.

Duration of licence

Once issued club premises certificates have an unlimited duration and an annual fee is payable on the anniversary of the grant of the licence. 

Making changes to licences

There are certain circumstances that will require the licence holder to make an application to change their club premises certificate:

  • Variation of a club premises certificate
  • Minor variation of a club premises certificate and
  • Notification of any changes to the role of Chairman, Secretary or Treasurer

Application forms for changes can be downloaded from associated documents below or from UK Government website.


You will be charged a fee that is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises. Please view the current licensing fees and payments page to find out how much you will need to pay.


Give website feedback