15th September 2023
Food waste collections
How to dispose of food waste, report a missed collection, or order a new bin
Food waste collection days
Your weekly food waste collection will be on the same day as your rubbish and recycling.
How to use the food waste bin
- Line your food waste caddy with a bought compostable liner, kitchen towel or any plastic bag you were going to throw out such as bread bags, cereal bags and carrier bags. Alternatively, leave unlined
- Only put loose food waste in the caddy - not the packaging
- When it's full, tie up the caddy liner and put it in the outdoor food waste bin - residents in flats should transfer caddy liners containing food waste to the red wheeled bin, in the bin store
- We'll only collect food waste and oil in a plastic bottle from the outdoor food waste container
What you can put in the food waste bin
You can put in:
- All meat and fish - raw, cooked and bones
- Dairy - cheese, yoghurts, eggs including shells
- Tea bags and ground coffee
- Fruit and Vegetables - including peelings, banana skins, apple cores
- Rice, pasta and beans
- Pet food
- Bread and pastries
- Out of date food not in its packaging
- Cooking oil - in a sealed plastic bottle placed in the outdoor container
What you can't put in the food waste caddy
You can't put in:
- Cling film, wrapping and tin foil
- Pots, trays
- Garden waste
- Pet mess, litter or bedding
How can I dispose of compostable packaging?
If you don't compost at home, place your compostable packaging in your blue rubbish bags for disposal.
Where to put your food waste
Collections are weekly at the same time as your rubbish and recycling.
Make sure you leave it out:
- By 6.30am on the collection day
- On the edge of your property as near to kerb as possible without causing obstruction
Collections may be earlier than normal on bank holidays so put your waste out the night before.
Report a missed collection
If your food waste isn't collected you can report it as a missed collection.
We'll return to collect as long as:
- Your food waste was in the black outdoor container we provide
- There was no packaging in with the food waste
- Your food waste was out by 6.30am
Where to get a new or replacement food waste bin
- Wokingham Borough Council, Shute End, Wokingham RG40 1BN Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- Woodley Library, Headley Road, Woodley RG5 4JA (Monday 9am to 1pm) (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 9am to 5pm) (Thursday 9am to 7pm) (Saturday 9.30am to 4pm) or (Sunday 10:30am to 4pm)
- Lower Earley Library, Chalfont Close, Lower Earley, RG6 5HZ (Monday, Tuesday and Friday 9.30am to 5pm) (Thursday 9:30am to 7pm) or (Saturday 9.30am to 4pm)
- Earley Town Council, Radstock House, Radstock Lane, Earley, RG6 5UL (Monday to Friday) (9am to 1pm) and (2pm to 4:30pm)
- Wokingham Library, Carnival Hub, Wellington Road, Wokingham, RG40 2AF (Monday, Tuesday and Friday 9.30am to 5pm) (Wednesday 9:30am to 4pm) (Thursday 9:30am to 7pm) or (Saturday 9.30am to 4pm)
While we await a delivery of food waste bins, the option of them being delivered is not currently available. Food waste bins can be collected from the hubs listed above. Only collect a food bin if you do not have one or if it is damaged beyond repair.