Last updated:

14th September 2023

Moving traffic offences

Moving traffic offence enforcement

We will be issuing tickets for moving traffic offences

We have been granted powers by the Secretary of State to improve safety and tackle congestion by civil enforcement of moving traffic offences. Read our Notice of Making Moving Traffic Offence (PDF document) and the Traffic Management Moving Offences Order (PDF document.)

Previously, Thames Valley Police only could enforce these offences. Our highway department will now be able to issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCN) to motorists who commit a moving traffic offence.

What moving traffic offences are

  • Driving through a 'No Entry' sign
  • Banned left or right turns
  • Stopping in a yellow box junction when the exit is not clear
  • Driving in a bus lane
  • Making an illegal U-turn
  • Driving the wrong way in a one-way street

Enforcement areas with cameras - from 20 September

We have identified 11 locations that will be enforced by cameras. The cameras will go live on 20 September. There will be a sign at each location to notify motorists of the camera enforcement. See the list, below, or view the locations map (PDF document.)

Enforcement areas with cameras
Site Location Contravention
1 Broad Street, Wokingham Banned right turn
2 Barkham Road rail crossing Banned right turn
3 Station Road, Wokingham Banned right turn
4 Wellington Road, Wokingham Ahead only
5 Gypsy Lane, Wokingham Weight restriction
6 Murdoch Road, Wokingham Keep left
7 Goatley Way, Wokingham One-way street
8 Milton Road, Wokingham Vehicles prohibited except buses
9 Easthampstead Road, Wokingham Yellow box junction
10 Hyde End Road, Spencers Wood Buses only
11 Whitlock Avenue, Wokingham Banned right turn

Why these areas are being enforced

In line with the Department for Transport application conditions, each of the sites we have selected will help reach one or more of the objectives below:

  • Increase road safety
  • Promote active travel
  • Tackle network congestion
  • Strengthen public transport reliability
  • Improve air quality

What happens if you commit an offence

For any new camera enforcement at a restriction, there will be a 6-month statutory warning notice period. The list of enforcement locations shows the date on which enforcement started.  After a period of 6 months from that date, anyone contravening the restriction will automatically get a PCN, and there will be no warning notice issued.

During the 6-month statutory warning notice period if you commit an offence during this time, you will be given a warning notice for your first contravention at each location.  If the offence is committed again during the 6-month warning period, you will be issued a PCN (Penalty Charge Notice.)

A PCN for Moving Traffic Contraventions will be issued by post to the registered keeper of the vehicle who commits a Moving Traffic Offence

You can accept the PCN and pay it, at the discounted fee or you can make a formal representation.

To pay a Penalty Charge Notice that starts with: (CW) please pay online

If you pay the cost within 21 days of the date the PCN was served, you will get a 50 percent discount.

How to dispute a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

If you dispute the PCN then you will need to make a formal representation within 28 days from the date the Postal PCN was served. All cases will be considered based on their individual circumstances. Please quote the PCN number, vehicle registration and your full postal address in all correspondence.

Representations may be made by post to: Wokingham Borough Council, PO Box 273, Sheffield, S98 1RH or on our parking charges website.

If we cancel it, you have nothing to pay.

If your representations are rejected, you have the right to appeal against that decision to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal services. An appeal form will be sent with the letter rejecting your representations. The form will explain how and when to appeal to the adjudicator.

A Moving Traffic Offence PCN sent through the post should be sent within 7 days of the date of the alleged contravention.

More details

Read our frequently asked questions (PDF document) for more details.

Give website feedback