27th July 2023
Volunteering as work experience
Find volunteering opportunities in Wokingham Borough
Volunteers make a real difference by helping out in their local community. There are lots of volunteering opportunities available in our borough.
Volunteering in the countryside is informal, fun and rewarding. No experience is necessary, just enthusiasm. Wear suitable old clothes and sturdy footwear. Families are welcome as well as dogs, under supervision. An adult must accompany children under 16 years. Please bring a packed lunch and a drink. Volunteers also join us to survey and record the diverse wildlife of the Borough including wood mice, barn owls, and dragonflies. All tasks are ranger-led with tools and instruction provided. Everybody is welcome and no experience is necessary. If you are interested in volunteering, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Countryside volunteering opportunities include
- Wednesday conservation volunteers - Volunteers join us on Wednesdays to assist with many practical tasks, such as hedge laying, coppicing and path construction. The group meets at 9.20am to 4pm
- Volunteer opportunities for groups - Specific conservation tasks can be organised for groups. A practical day out with the Countryside Service can be a great team-building exercise whilst giving something back to the community. Groups we have worked with include Microsoft, National Grid, Scout and Church groups and the Shinfield Shambles Morris Dancers. A charge is made for these days
- Friends of groups - Our natures reserves have an active social friends group. They meet regularly to raise issues and discuss the management of the site, as well as helping the Countryside Service with the practical maintenance of the reserves. Email email@example.com for more details
- Friends of Lavell’s Lake Local Nature Reserve work parties - The Friends of Lavell's Lake hold work parties. These days are not ranger-led. Contact the Friends of Lavell's Lake by visiting the Friends of Lavell's Lake website.
Volunteering with us
- Adopt a street - volunteer to keep a street clean
- Duke of Edinburgh's Award volunteering
- Volunteer in our libraries