17th October 2023
Who may we share personal data with and why?
The Council will not share personal information with any other parties, except where required to carry out its statutory duties and functions, where required by law, or by consent from the individual. By sharing information securely and effectively we can:
- Provide better quality and more streamlined services
- Ensure that public money is not wasted
- Recover money owed to us
- Provide a better quality of life
- Protect vulnerable people
The details of the information which may be shared is contained with services' privacy notices, which include:
- Care organisations
- Central government, government agencies and departments
- Data processors that work on our behalf
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Her majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- Housing providers
- Law enforcement agencies including the Police
- Ombudsman and other regulatory authorities
- Other local authorities and public bodies
Who has access to the personal information?
Personal information is accessible on a need-to-know basis. Employees and business partners may be granted access and are obliged to respect the confidentiality of personal information.
All personal information is stored securely. We have in place security which is intended to ensure, as far as possible, the security and integrity of all personally identifiable information.
How do you keep personal information safe?
Council employees and business partners who have access to and are associated with the processing of personal information are obliged to respect the confidentiality of personal information. All access to personal information is controlled by secure computer logins, passwords, permissions, and equipment is encrypted.
Personal information will not be disclosed to other organisations except if required by law or other regulation.
We use a secure transmission method for confidential personal information such as financial, health, or identification data (e.g. bank card details).
How long is information kept?
Personal information is kept for as long as necessary to deliver specific services. Details of the retention periods are published in our Retention Schedule.