Last updated:

29th March 2024

Help with life skills

Where to get advice about managing money, benefits you might be eligible for and personal budgets to pay for your care.

There are many ways you can receive money which include:

  • getting paid for a job
  • benefits which is money from the government

Benefits (money from the government)

You may be entitled to benefits which is financial support from the government. What you might get will depend on:

  • your age
  • your needs
  • the choices you make about school, training or employment

When you turn 16, you can decide if you want to be responsible for your benefits, or if you would like your parents or carers to be responsible for them until you are 18.

When you turn 18, you will be responsible for any benefits you get, unless you are unable to make decisions.

Find out more about what benefits you might be able to get.

Managing your money and financial advice

Mencap provides information on accessing money and benefits to help a person live independently.

Money Helper (previously Money Advice Service) offers free and impartial advice on:

  • managing your money
  • money-saving tips
  • disability benefits and entitlement

Read the Financial Conduct Authority's Everyday Banking easy-read guide, aimed at helping people understand financial services.


Find information about paying for care, personal budgets and where to go for support.

Browse our Local Offer directory for information about independent financial advice and care planning.

Give website feedback