Last updated:

12th June 2024

Adapting your home

Find out if you are eligible to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from us if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to: 

  • Improve access to rooms and facilities - e.g. widen doors, install ramps, fit stairlifts
  • Adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

Deciding which adaptations and equipment you need

To see if you qualify for this grant, you will need an assessment by an occupational therapist. If the occupational therapist agrees that major changes to your home are necessary and appropriate, they will refer you to the council’s Housing Adaptation Team. The Team will consider if the proposed adaptations can be done and then explain how to apply for the grant. 


You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must:

  • Own the property or be a tenant
  • Intend to live in the property during the grant condition period (which is currently 10 years)

Grants are not available for work already in progress. The council needs to approve your application before any work can begin.

To find out more read the Disabled Facilities Grants and aids and adaptations policy (PDF)

Planning and building regulations approval

Depending on the nature and type of work needed, you may need to apply separately for any planning permission or building regulations approval. 

The council may ask you to employ a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work. The grant can be used pay for the cost of their fees. 

To request an assessment by an occupational therapist 

You'll need an assessment first to see if you're eligible for support from us. 

For applicant’s over 18 years old  

Please contact the Berkshire Integrated Hub and ask for a referral to Adult Social Care for an occupational therapy assessment. 

Tel: 0300 365 1234

For applicant’s who are under 18 years old 

Go to the assessments for children with a disability page

Give website feedback