Last updated:

4th December 2023

Taxis and private hire

Apply for a dual driver licence or a private hire driver's licence

The council issues either a single dual licence for drivers, which allows them to drive either a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle, or a private hire driver’s licence to drive only private hire vehicles.

Applicants must have held a valid driving licence for a minimum period of 12 months. Before a driver licence can be issued the following checks will be carried out to determine if you are a 'fit and proper' person to be issued with a licence:

  • Group 2 medical - with your GP
  • Two-character references
  • Practical driving assessment
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
  • Wokingham Council Knowledge Test
  • Proof of eligibility to work in the UK
  • Disability Awareness training
  • Safeguarding training

An authenticated certificate of good conduct should be obtained by applicants who have not been resident in the United Kingdom for the previous five years. You must obtain this from your appropriate embassy and this must be provided in English, from the age of 16 years old. Further details of how to obtain this certificate may be found on the GOV.UK website.

Complete the application form (PDF document), and email to arrange an appointment to bring in your documents.

Online Disclosure and Barring Service check

If you require a new Enhanced DBS Certificate, then please now use Wokingham Borough Council TaxiPlus.

Please be mindful that the Department of Transport is directing all Licensing Authorities to mandate the use of DBS Update Service. Although this feature is not currently mandatory, it is likely to form part of the policy requirements later this year. Taxi Plus have produced a useful guide to the DBS Update Service. The cost of an Enhanced DBS Certificate is £53, and the DBS Update Service subscription is £13 per year.


Three forms of ID, (one has to be photo ID) must be brought in with your completed driver application form. Required documentation detailed below: 

  • DVLA driving licence – full driving licence – card or paper version
  • Your driving licence information which has replaced the counterpart driving licence (this must be printed out from the GOV.UK website)
  • Proof of address (e.g. bank statement, utility bill less than three months old)
  • Proof of eligibility to work in the UK – passport or UK birth certificate
  • A photograph, or
  • Certificate of good conduct from your embassy (if necessary)

Renewal of licence

Complete the Renewal of PH-DD-PHSC Driver Licence (PDF document)

Fees and charges

Go to the fees and payments page to see details of how much it will cost.


Note all documents must be presented in person and no copies of documents will be accepted. Once you have submitted your application, we will advise how to book the disability and safeguarding training. Please email to arrange an appointment to bring in your documents.

Medical form (PDF document)


GOV.UK Driving licences for taxis and private hire vehicles 

Local Government (Misc. Provisions) Act 1976 

Town Police Clauses Act 1847 

Give website feedback