Last updated:

5th July 2023

Tattoos and piercings

Who needs a tattoo and piercing licence

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Part VIII requires that the following types of skin piercing need be registered with the council:

  • Acupuncture
  • Tattooing
  • Ear-piercing
  • Electrolysis

The Act requires registration to cover both the person and the premises used for the purpose of piercing or tattooing. 


Go to the fees and payments page to find out the cost.

How to apply

Complete the application form below and email it to

Open in a new tab

Give website feedback