Last updated:

5th July 2023

Street trading consents

Street Trading is offering for sale of any article in the street. To participate you need to obtain consent from the council.


The following types of trading are excluded from the definition of street trading:

  • A pedlar with a valid pedlar’s certificate issued by a chief constable of police
  • Trading in a charter market or a statutory market
  • Trading in a trunk road picnic area 
  • Trading as a news vendor within a maximum area of 0.25 square metres and only sell newspapers and periodicals
  • Trading as a roundsman (a trader's employee who goes round delivering and taking orders)
  • Undertaking a permitted street collection and
  • Trading on premises used as a petrol station or on the street adjoining premises used as a petrol station and you own the shop or petrol station


You must be at least 17 years old to apply for a street trading consent.


Completed application forms with a location map indicating where the stall or vehicle is to be sited must be supplied with the appropriate fee to 

Licensing, Wokingham Borough Council, Shute End, Wokingham, RG40 1BN or emailed to:


Go to the fees and payments page for details of how much it costs. 


The Council will consult with the following persons and authorities/agencies and consider any representations before determining your application:

  • The local Parish, Ward and Town Councillors and local Members having jurisdiction in the areas applied and for Members for those Wards adjoining the trading location.
  • The Police and
  • Traffic & Road Safety
  • Food trading registrations

In addition, anyone trading in food will need to be registered with Environmental Health for the area in which they are based for food hygiene inspection.

Late night food trading

Trading in hot food or hot drink in any place, including by a mobile trader, between 23:00 and 05:00 on any day will require a premises licence for late night refreshment under the Licensing Act 2003.


A street trading consent is valid for a period of 12 months from the date on which it is granted or, if a shorter period is specified in the licence, for that period.

The licence can be issued for one year, or six months or for any complete monthly periods beginning with the day on which it comes into force.


There is no formal right of appeal in respect of a refusal to grant or vary a street trading consent.


Application for street trading consent (PDF document)

Application for outdoor street trading consent (PDF document)

Nomination form street trading assistant (PDF document)


Give website feedback