Last updated:

5th July 2023

Petrol licence

Who needs a petroleum licence

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from the council for retail above and underground petroleum storage and private workplace dispensers.  

The Health and Safety Executive is responsible for non-retail above ground petroleum storage. 

The PLA is responsible for the following storage quantities: 

  • Less than 2,500 litres - £44 fee
  • 2,500 - 50,000 litres - £61 fee
  • More than 50,000 litres - £125 fee
  • Petroleum (transfer of licences) - £8 fee

Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations require premises that have more than five employees to carry out a risk assessment and this must be recorded. If there is less than five employees a risk assessment must still be carried out but does not need to be recorded. 

How to apply 

Complete the Petroleum Licence Application Form and send to

The application for a licence must be accompanied by a copy of each of the following plans:

  • A plan scale 1/500 giving sufficient information to identify the site easily and the position of buildings nearby, together with public highways, footpaths and the boundary of the site
  • A drawing scale 1/100 showing the layout, including means of escape, signs, means for fighting fire, electrical and ventilation arrangements and drainage, storage tanks/containers, dispensers and associated pipework 
  • Before a licence can be issued, an electrical certificate testifying as to compliance with the appropriate standards and duly signed by a qualified and experienced person, must be forwarded to the petroleum officer
  • Any application for planning permission or for consent under the building regulations should be the subject of separate applications to the borough planning officer
  • Proof of recorded risk assessment where premises has more than five employees

Fees and charges

Go to the fees and payments page to find out the cost.

Application process

We aim to process your application within 28 days of receiving it. As it is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted, please contact us if you have not heard from us within this period. 

The fee payable depends upon the maximum quantity of petroleum spirit/mixtures to be kept. Fee levels are set by regulation and subject to periodic review.


Please contact us by email in the first instance If an application is refused you may appeal to the Secretary of State. 


Visit HSE - fire and explosion for guidance.

Give website feedback