5th July 2023
Advice about fly-tipping
You are responsible for your waste
If you are a householder you must ensure that all your household waste is properly disposed of. This applies to all domestic properties, caravans and residential homes.
To ensure the safe removal of your waste you can:
- Join our garden waste collection scheme
- Order a large unwanted item(s) collection
- Dispose of items at your local recycling centre
- Arrange for proper disposal of your waste using a reputable contractor
- Visit the Right Waste Right Place website to help you put the right waste in the right place
You are responsible for your waste removal contractor
As a householder, you must take reasonable steps to check that anyone you use to remove waste from your property is authorised to do so.
Ask any waste carrier to:
- Provide you with their full address and telephone number
- Show you their waste carrier licence - if they don't have one, don't use them
- Tell you where your waste will be taken to - it must be a licensed waste disposal site
Advice for businesses
All businesses have a legal duty to dispose of their waste properly. Read our business/commercial waste page for tips on waste collection.
Dumped supermarket trolleys are the responsibility of the relevant supermarket. If you find an abandoned trolley please report this to the appropriate supermarket for collection.
Advice for landowners
If you are responsible for land or are a private landowner, you should ensure that your land is as secure as is practically possible.