27th November 2023
Gritting and snow clearance
If you're reporting an urgent issue that requires immediate attention call:
- 0118 974 6000 and select the 'highways' option 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
- 0800 212 111 Out of Hours - Monday to Friday 5pm to 9am, weekend days and public holiday
An urgent issue is defined as something that is very likely to present an imminent threat to life, serious injury, or serious damage to property - we aim to respond to urgent issues within 2 hours.
You can report:
- Grit bins that need refilling
- Damaged grit bins
To report problems you'll need:
- The location
- A brief description
Click the grit bin icon on the map:
To report multiple faults you'll need to create a report for each one.
How we respond to problems
We aim to repair faults and refill bins within 28 days, however, during busy periods repair and refill times might be longer. We do not provide grit bins on primary salting routes.
When snow is predicted we pre-salt the agreed routes set out in our Winter Service Plan. The plan can be found in Volume 4 of our Highway Maintenance Management Plan.
The priority order of gritting is:
- Gritting primary routes first
- Followed by secondary routes
- Then we grit less crucial roads
- Once snow has fallen we put down more grit
We have 5 gritters - each of which can be fitted with a snowplough.
Our contractors shovel snow and ice from footways and other key areas. Please get in touch for any general gritting route enquiries.