17th November 2023
Street works permit scheme
From 19 January 2015 we've been operating under The Traffic Management (Wokingham Borough Council) Permit Scheme Order 2014. This is how we manage street and road works across Wokingham Borough's public highways. The scheme excludes motorways (except the A3290/(M)) and trunk roads where the Highways Agency is the Highway Authority.
About the scheme
Permit schemes were introduced to minimise disruption from street and road works. The permit scheme is designed to improve management of roadworks and reduce unnecessary disruption to road users.
How the scheme works
Anyone carrying out roadworks will legally need to apply to us in advance for permission. We can choose to grant a permit, apply conditions to a granted permit or decline permission for the roadworks.
These new powers mean we can improve the management of roadworks on the road network and reduce unnecessary disruption.
How to apply
Permit applications must be made via the Department for Transport Street Manager system or Street Manager compliant systems. For guidance on the application form read:
Find out more
For more information about the street works permit scheme including fees and conditions see:
- Objectives of the Street Works Permit Scheme
- Charges for Permits
- Coordination Code of Practise
- Traffic Management (Wokingham Borough Council) Permit Scheme Order 2020
- Early Start Process for Permits
- Permit Refusals and Modification Requests
- HAUC (Highway Authorities and Utility Committee) Guidance Operation of Permit Schemes
- Permit Scheme Evaluation Report 2015 to 2023