18th July 2023
Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
What is the Community Infrastructure Levy?
The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a planning charge. It allows us to charge developers who are building in our area.
It applies all development where there is an increase in floorspace. It is charged in £ per square metre of gross internal floorspace. The charges are based on type and location of the development.
We charge Community Infrastructure Levy on:
- Residential development
- Sheltered housing
- Residential institutions
- Extra-care housing
- Retail development (in certain locations, please refer to the charging schedule for further information)
For all other development types there is no charge.
For more details visit information about the Community Infrastructure Levy on the Gov.uk website.
How much does Community Infrastructure Levy cost
- Read our Community Infrastructure Levy charging schedule (PDF document) to find out how much we charge
What will Community Infrastructure Levy monies be spent on?
The money can be used to pay for lots of things needed to support growth of an area such as:
- Community facilities
- New roads
- Parks and play areas
Town and Parish Councils will also receive a meaningful proportion of the money raised. This can be up to 25 percent of receipts in areas with an adopted Neighbourhood Plan and up to 15 percent (capped at £100 per existing Council Tax dwelling) in areas without a Neighbourhood Plan.
Please see the relevant parish website in order to see the parishes individual annual CIL statement setting out the amount of CIL received, how much was spent and what it was spent on.
Infrastructure Funding Statement
Following an update to the CIL Regulations in 2019, the council is now required to publish an Infrastructure Funding Statement on an annual basis. This has replaced the Regulation 123 list and will set out the Council’s CIL expenditure and future expenditure of CIL. See below for the document:
- Wokingham Borough Council - Infrastructure Funding Statement - 2021/22 (PDF document)
- Wokingham Borough Council - Infrastructure Funding Statement - 2020/21 (PDF document)
- Wokingham Borough Council - Infrastructure Funding Statement - 2019/20 (PDF document)
Community Infrastructure Levy now live
We approved our Community Infrastructure Levy Charging Schedule on 19 February 2015. Any new development without outline planning permission granted before this date may be liable to pay.
Find out more below:
- Community Infrastructure Levy guidance for applicants (PDF document)
- Gov.uk website
- Community Infrastructure Levy on the Planning Portal website
- Planning Advisory Service (PAS) website
Community Infrastructure Levy Annual Report
To make sure that the levy is open and transparent we prepare short reports on the levy for each financial year:
- Community Infrastructure Levy Annual Report for 2018 to 2019 (PDF document)
- Community Infrastructure Levy Annual Report for 2017 to 2018 (PDF document)
- Community Infrastructure Levy Annual Report for 2016 to 2017 (PDF document)
- Community Infrastructure Levy Annual Report for 2015 to 2016 (PDF document)