Last updated:

18th July 2023

Temporary housing

How to apply for temporary housing

Can I get temporary housing?

Temporary accommodation will be offered to you if, after a homelessness assessment, you are considered to be:

  • Homeless
  • Eligible for assistance
  • With a priority need

What sort of temporary housing will I be offered?

We will most likely offer you bed and breakfast. We will try to arrange bed and breakfast in the Reading area. In some cases we may offer bed and breakfast in Slough or Windsor. If you decide not to take up a booking, let your case officer know as soon as possible. We will have to charge you for the full cost of a hotel room if it is booked and not used. Unfortunately we can't provide assistance with travel to and from your bed and breakfast.

Types of temporary housing

  • Bed and breakfast (your own room with basic facilities plus shared use of a kitchen and bathroom). You should take your own cutlery, crockery, baby bottles and cot for your baby, although we can arrange for one to be provided.
  • Mobile homes - We have 2 bedroom mobile homes for use as temporary accommodation. The site is in Winnersh. The properties are partly furnished with a bed, cooker, fridge and chairs. You may like to visit the Christian Community Action Shop which provides discounted furniture for people on Benefit
  • Bedsits (bedroom with shared kitchen, lounge and bathroom) - We have 9 bedsits at 48 Oxford Road, Wokingham. All units have a small kitchen and bathroom, except one. The bedrooms include their own beds. There are also washing machines and tumble dryer at the premises. The tokens for the machines can be bought from the cashiers desk at our Shute End offices.

Rent and service charge payments

  • Rent - You will be responsible for paying rent for your temporary accommodation. We will tell you how much rent to pay during your interview. You should complete a Housing Benefit form when you sign up for the accommodation to see if you can claim Housing Benefit. If you are entitled to Housing Benefit it will be paid directly to us.
  • Service charge - The service charge covers utility payments. Your service charge will not be paid by Housing Benefit, so you will need to include this cost in your weekly budget.
  • You will need to pay any costs not covered by your Housing Benefit to us


Methods of payment

  • By phone - You can pay be credit or debit card by calling 0118 974 6807 or 0118 974 6813. You should:

      • Quote reference number 60705 1125
      • State your name and address and where you are staying
      • State the amount you are paying

If you are paying by credit card, your issuing company will make a 1.75 percent commission charge against your payment.

Need help?

Contact us if you have any questions.

Give website feedback