9th November 2023
Options for Year 11 students
Learning options after you're 16
You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you'll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.
You must stay in some form of education until you're 18. You could:
- Do an apprenticeship or a traineeship.
- Stay in full-time education, at a school sixth form or college.
- Work or volunteer (for 20 hours or more a week) while in part-time education or training.
For pupils with SEND (Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities) visit our educational support web page for young people aged 16 and over.
What are the benefits?
- Better job prospects, through the experience you'll get.
- Higher earnings over your lifetime.
- Learning the skills needed for the world of work.
Find out more
For more details about learning options:
- Visit the Adviza website
- See our raising the participation age leaflets (PDF document)
- Ask your school about speaking to an independent careers adviser.