Last updated:

18th July 2023

Housing and tenants change of circumstances

Tell us if your circumstances change

Tell us about any change of circumstances

To update your details online:

Register for Housing Online

Then select 'Change of Circumstances Form' to submit changes to your housing application.
Remember to upload your supporting documents.

Update your details online

To update your details online:

Register for Housing Online

Things you must tell us

If your circumstances change it may affect your application for housing.

You must let us know and provide support evidence where required:

  • If you have changed your address
  • If you have changed your contact telephone number
  • If you want to add or remove a joint tenant
  • If someone else moves in or out of your home
  • If you are pregnant or have a baby
  • If you are working or no longer working
  • If you want to change your area(s) of choice
  • If you want to go on the sheltered housing list
  • If you have changed your name
  • If you have a pet or no longer have a pet


What happens when you make a change

You must provide us with supported evidence of your change.

Register for Housing Online

Go to 'My Documents' and follow the online instructions to upload your document(s.)

Read our guidance on how to upload documents.

  • For change of address – a copy of Tenancy Agreement, utility bills, official letters
  • If you want to add a joint tenant – a copy of full birth certificate
  • If you want to remove a joint tenant – a letter signed by joint tenant
  • If you are pregnancy – a copy of MATB1 or GP Note
  • If you want to add a baby – a copy of full child birth certificate and child benefit document
  • If you are working – a copy of wage slips or contract of employment
  • If you are no longer working – a copy of P45 or benefit claim
  • If you change your name – a copy of marriage certificate or Deed Poll document  

If you do not provide the correct documentation, this will delay the processing of your application for housing. Please mark each copy with your name and address as it appears on the application form online.

Important legal information

Fines issued for false information

Section 171 of the Housing Act 1996 states it is an offence for any person, knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement or to withhold information requested, with the intention of misleading a local authority for the purpose of obtaining social housing.

This includes failure by the applicant to notify the authority of a change in circumstance whilst it is considering an application.

The offence is punishable by a fine up to Level 5 (currently £5,000.)

Your legal declaration

I understand that the information on online is available to other departments within the Council including the Anti-Fraud Team.

  • I understand the information provided on this online application may, if appropriate, be given to other Housing providers such as Housing Associations and other Local Authorities 
  • I understand the information on this online application may, if appropriate, be shared with other statutory or non-statutory agencies 
  • I declare that the details given for the purpose of this online application are correct 
  • I declare that I/We have not withheld any information 
  • I authorise the Council to make necessary enquiries to check information that has been given. 
  • I have read, or had this document read to me and I understand and agree with the details 
  • I confirm that the information I have given on this form is true and correct 
  • I understand it is very important to let the Housing Needs Team know of any changes to circumstances as mentioned above 
  • I understand that if I give false information you may remove my online application from the waiting list or if I have been rehoused, my landlord may take court action to evict me from the property 

Give website feedback