Last updated:

18th July 2023

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

Find out about HMOs

What is a licensable HMO?

On 1 October 2018 the mandatory licensing scheme was extended to HMOs that are:

  • Occupied by five or more occupants which
  • Form two households or more and 
  • Is not a flat in a purpose built block containing three or more flats
  • Occupiers share basic amenities - toilet, bathroom and/or kitchen
  • It is their only or main residence including full-time students and use as a refuge from domestic violence and
  • Rent or other consideration is payable 

A house converted into self-contained flats which did not meet the Building Regulations at the time of the conversion is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) but does not require to be licensed.

Apply for an HMO application form

HMO licence application form (PDF document)

HMO licence renewal form is the same application form but Section 3 is not compulsory - there is also a different fee.

The HMO application fee is reviewed annually. For details, please view our fees and payments page.

What information will I need to provide?

Information that will be required includes details on:

  • The licence holder
  • The manager
  • The owner
  • The freeholder (if it is leasehold)
  • Mortgage companies
  • The property itself


To accept the application as duly made, the authority must receive the following:

  1. A fully completed application form (signed and dated)
  2. A payment of the HMO application fee
  3. A floor-plan
  4. A photo ID of the applicant (i.e passport and/or UK driving licence)
  5. Proof of address such as a recent utility bill for each of the licence holder and proposed manager of the HMO (if different from the licence holder)
  6. A valid electrical installation condition report dated within 5 years
  7. A valid gas safety certificate (if there is a gas supply)
  8. A valid fire alarm testing certificate and/or declaration of regular maintenance (if there is a fire alarm control panel)
  9. A valid emergency lighting certificate (if there is emergency lighting)

The council needs to be satisfied that both the licence holder and the manager of the HMO are fit and proper persons, and may require a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

The Council keeps a public register containing some of this information.

Read about recent decisions relating to enforcement policy.

HMO amenities and facilities guidance

Our HMO Licensable Guidance explains in more details of the statutory minimum legal requirements which should be read in conjunction with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) Guidance for Landlords and Property Related Professionals and LACORS Fire Safety Guidance.


See the Fees and payments page for more details.

Public register of HMOs

We hold a public register of houses in multiple occupation. If you wish to view the register, please email

Give website feedback