12th July 2023
Staying well this winter
Visit the NHS website to find information such as:
- Why is cold weather a problem?
- Who is most at risk?
- How to keep your home warm
- How to protect your health in the cold
Read the Age UK top tips for keeping warm and well for advice about keeping warm during the winter, and take note of these:
- Heat your home to at least 18 degrees.
- Try using an electric blanket or hot water bottle to stay warm in bed.
- Try to eat at least one hot meal a day.
- Wear several layers as this helps to trap warm air.
- Eat regularly and stay hydrated to keep yourself energised and your body warm.
- If you can get outside, try walking or exercising regularly - try not to sit still for more than an hour.
Both Age UK and Public Health England have produced easy to read PDFs:
Staying safe in cold weather
Visit the Met Office website for useful information about how to survive the seasonal weather. Information can be found on:
- Staying safe in a storm
- Cold weather and driving
- How cold weather affects your health
- How to get your property winter ready
- Keeping your home warm in winter
- What to do in a power cut