14th June 2023
NHS health checks
NHS Health Check programme
The NHS Health Check programme is a national programme of health screening for people aged 40 to 74 years old. It aims to help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease and dementia. Visit the NHS website for more details.
Who can take part?
If you are eligible, you may be able to book an NHS health check at your general practice, but not all practices are able to offer this service.
People who have already been diagnosed with one of the following conditions are not eligible as they will already be receiving care from their general practice:
- Heart disease (atrial fibrillation, angina, heart attack)
- Stroke (includes Transient Ischaemic Attack or TIA)
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD 3 to 5)
- Hypertension (persistent high blood pressure)
- Being treated with statins for high cholesterol level
Online heart health check
Whether you are entitled to an NHS Health Check or not, you can see how you, and your heart, are shaping up for your age by using the check your heart age tool on the NHS website.