15th February 2024
Current elections and by-elections
Important changes to voting system
The next scheduled elections are:
- Local Government Elections - 2 May 2024
- Police and Crime Commissioner Elections - 2 May 2024
Local Government and Police and Crime Commissioner elections - 2 May 2024
All out local government elections are scheduled in:
- Barkham and Arborfield
- Bulmershe and Coronation
- Maiden Erlegh and Whitegates
- South Lake
- Spencers Wood and Swallowfield
- Twyford, Ruscombe and Hurst
- Wokingham Without
All 54 seats of Wokingham Borough Council are up for election following a major change to ward boundaries. This came as a result of an independent review by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England.
There will also be the Police and Crime Commissioner election for the Thames Valley.
There is also the possibility of parish council elections if there are any contested seats in Charvil, Finchampstead, Hurst and Ruscombe parishes.
These elections will take place on Thursday 2 May 2024.
Nomination deadline – 5 April 2024
Please contact the Elections Team if you are interested in standing for election. Nomination papers will be available on this page and from the Elections Team from the beginning of March. Nomination papers can also be found on the Electoral Commission website. Please ensure you complete the correct nomination papers. If you are unsure, please contact the Elections Team.
Nominations will be accepted from the day after we publish the Notice of Election. The deadline to submit a completed nomination will be at 4pm on Friday 5 April 2024.
Nomination papers must be hand delivered to Electoral Services in person at the Civic Offices, Shute End, Wokingham, RG40 1WH. They will only be accepted between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday. Please make an appointment to deliver your papers by emailing email@example.com
For further guidance on standing in elections, please contact the Electoral Commission.
- Publication of Notice of Election - Friday 22 March
- Nominations can be received between 10am to 4pm - from Monday 25 March
- Deadline for Withdrawal of Candidate - 4pm on Friday 5 April
- Deadline for Receipt of Nominations - 4pm on Friday 5 April
- Statement of Persons nominated - 4pm on Monday 8 April
- Deadline to Register to Vote - Midnight Tuesday 16 April
- Deadline to cancel or amend existing postal or proxy arrangements - 5pm on Wednesday 17 April
- Deadline for New Postal Vote Applications - 5pm on Wednesday 17 April
- Notice of Poll - Wednesday 24 April
- Deadline for Proxy Vote Applications - 5pm on Wednesday 24 April
- Deadline for Appointment of Poll and Count Agents – Thursday 25 April
- First Day to Issue Replacement Postal Ballot Papers – Friday 26 April
- Day of Poll - 7am to 10pm on Thursday 2 May
- Deadline for Replacement Postal Ballot Papers - 5pm on Thursday 2 May
- Deadline for Receipt of Emergency Proxy Vote Applications - 5pm on Thursday 2 May
- Deadline to alter Register due to clerical error - 9pm on Thursday 2 May
UK Parliamentary elections are held every 5 years but may be called sooner.
The date of the next general election has not yet been announced. However, it must be held by 28 January 2025.