17th August 2023
Council Tax discounts for pensioners
I look after someone ‘severely mentally impaired’ (SMI)
You could be eligible for a Council Tax discount.
This could include those who have Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, profound learning difficulties, multiple sclerosis or who have had a severe stroke.
I'm a carer
You may be able to get a Council Tax discount if you or someone in your household is a carer.
To be considered a carer, you need to meet the following conditions:
- You live in the same home as the person you care for
- The person receiving the care is not your spouse, partner or child under the age of 18
- You provide at least 35 hours a week of care to the person who is entitled to receive one of the following:
- Any rate of Attendance Allowance
- The middle or highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance
- Any rate of the daily living activity component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- An increase in their Disablement Pension
- An increase in Constant Attendance Allowance
You do not have to be in receipt of a Carer's Allowance to claim a discount.