Last updated:

17th August 2023

Council Tax discounts for pensioners

I look after someone ‘severely mentally impaired’ (SMI)

You could be eligible for a Council Tax discount.

This could include those who have Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, profound learning difficulties, multiple sclerosis or who have had a severe stroke.

Check eligibility

I'm a carer

You may be able to get a Council Tax discount if you or someone in your household is a carer.

To be considered a carer, you need to meet the following conditions:

  • You live in the same home as the person you care for
  • The person receiving the care is not your spouse, partner or child under the age of 18
  • You provide at least 35 hours a week of care to the person who is entitled to receive one of the following:
    • Any rate of Attendance Allowance
    • The middle or highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance
    • Any rate of the daily living activity component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • An increase in their Disablement Pension
    • An increase in Constant Attendance Allowance

You do not have to be in receipt of a Carer's Allowance to claim a discount.

Give website feedback