Last updated:

6th July 2023

Housing options

Removing yourself from an abusive living situation

Leave this page

Press the button below if you need to leave this page quickly, you will be redirected to our recycling page. 

Leave this page


If you're in immediate danger, call 999.

Emergency housing

Contact us for homelessness advice if you're at risk of becoming homeless.

Refuge accommodation

Refuges are safe houses for people who are escaping domestic abuse. Refuges offer safety and support.

You can also access refuge accommodation by calling:

  • The National Domestic Abuse Helpline for female victims on 0808 2000 247 or 
  • The Male Advice Line (for male and LGBT+ victims) on 0808 801 0327

Stay with a friend or family member

Stay with a friend or family member, if it's safe to do so. Your partner might guess where you are so this may only be a short-term solution. If you live in a council home, contact your housing officer for support as soon as possible, especially if you can't stay in your home.

Free home security measures

We run a free Home Refuge scheme that provides additional security in your home if your abuser has left.

The scheme can provide door chains, viewers, window locks, etc. to help keep you safe.

Call us on 0118 974 3799 or email for details.

Pet fostering

If you can't take your pet with you, when you leave your abusive partner, fostering is available through:

Give website feedback