Bills and home costs

Get help with your bills or costs relating to your home

Get £140 to help with food and other essentials

The new round of the Household Support Fund opened on 25 April. Apply for help paying for:

  • Food
  • Energy
  • Bills
  • Other essentials

If you’ve previously been awarded a grant you can now apply again. Grants are:

  • If you have a child who receives means-tested free school meals you can get Holiday Food Vouchers for £20 per week, per child during the school holidays for May half-term and the six-week summer holidays

If you have a child who receives means-tested free school meals, you apply to First Days Children's Charity.

Anyone else can apply to Citizens Advice Wokingham or Age UK Berkshire.

Apply to Household Support Fund

Advice for lowering your bills

We've launched launched a new Home Decarbonisation Advice Service. This can help you improve your home, save money on bills and lower emissions. 

You can contact the council’s Customer Service team on the website or by phone on 0118 974 6000.

You'll then be signposted to the relevant information they need, or referred to the council’s Energy team who will be able to give more detailed advice.

Residents can also access the free Parity Projects Plan Builder App. This tool helps you know potential savings on improvements to your home.

Help with your TV Licence

You could use the new Simple Payment Plan

Qualifying customers can make fortnightly or monthly payments to spread cost of a TV Licence over 12 months. It means you make smaller payments more frequently, helping you to better manage your finances. 

TV Licensing accepts referrals to the Simple Payment Plan from not-for-profit organisations such as charities.

There are other TV licence concessions, which you might be eligible for depending on your circumstances.

Water bills

If you have a low income or are struggling to pay your bills can apply for financial support from your water provider.

Grants for energy debt

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.

Open to customers of all suppliers:

Open to customers of the named supplier:

If your supplier isn’t listed it’s a good idea to contact them directly to see what extra support they can give you.


Ofgem has a list of social tariffs for broadband which you may be eligible for if you receive other support like Pension Credit.

Free insulation or cheaper boiler replacement

  • The Energy Company Obligation (ECO4) flex scheme can offer free insulation or in some cases cheaper boiler replacement to reduce your home’s energy bills, if your home has an energy performance certificate of D to G and you have a low household combined income below £31,000. Measures include cavity wall insulation, loft insulation and under some circumstances boiler system upgrade or replacement. Eligibility criteria for the ECO4 flex scheme can be found in our Statement of intent (PDF document.)

  • The Great British Insulation Scheme is offering free or cheaper insulation to reduce your home’s energy bills, if your home has an energy performance certificate of D to G and is in Council Tax bands A to D. Measures include cavity wall insulation, solid wall insulation (internal or external), loft insulation, flat or pitched roof insulation, underfloor insulation, solid floor insulation, park home insulation and room-in-roof insulation.

Heat Pump Grants

The Government has launched the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, which will offer £7,500 towards the cost of a new heat pump. Check if your home is eligible.

If you're vulnerable

Register for priority services with your water or gas suppliers in case services are interrupted this winter. It means you'll get extra help or priority if there are disruptions such as power cuts.

Vulnerable usually includes people who get their pension, have young children, are disabled, are pregnant or have a long-term medical condition. Check if you'd be eligible.

Speak to someone for advice on bills

If you are struggling to pay your bills, you can contact Citizens Advice Wokingham.

Use the online referral form via the button below, or call 0808 278 7958, Monday to Friday. 

Local support services

Our directory lists a range of services that aim to help you manage your concerns about debt, fuel and energy. To access these services, click the buttons below.

Debt support

Fuel and energy support

Give website feedback