[Skip to content]



Contact us for help

If your parents ask you to leave home, you may be able to make a homeless application. There are other reasons why you might be considered legally homeless, for example if it's not safe for you to stay at home. If you're suffering violence or abuse at home, it may be best to leave your home quickly, but it's usually best to try to get some advice if you can. If you are in this situation call us on 0118 974 6756 or 0118 974 6752 for advice. 

How to apply for housing

You can make a homeless application to the housing department. To do this, come in and see us, tell us you are homeless, and about your circumstances, and we will see how we can help you.

Who has priority for council housing?

The Housing Officer will need to decide that you are in a priority need category. 

  • Most young people aged 16 and 17 are considered in priority need although there are exceptions for those who are not eligible due to immigration status or those who have been in care previously. 
  • If you have been in care, it could be social services has responsibility for helping you. 
  • If you were living with your parents, then the council may want to explore the possibility of you going back there. The council may be able to arrange a form of mediation to enable you to stay living at home.

If the council decides that you are homeless, in a priority need category and that you haven't made yourself homeless deliberately, then it should secure housing for you.

Useful contacts


Was this page useful?
Back to top