Gas leaks - call 0800 111 999 immediately
If you smell gas, or suspect a gas leak, call the 24-hour emergency number immediately on: 0800 111 999.
What to do if there is a big gas pipeline leak
- Go indoors and stay there.
- Bring pets inside.
- Close outside doors, windows and air vents.
- Turn off fans, hot air heating systems, ventilation etc.
- Cover all unsealed fresh food.
- Listen to your local radio station for further advice.
- Do not go outside until told that it is safe to do so
- Do not try to collect children from school unless instructed to do so. They will be looked after.
Visit the Health and Safety Executive website for more information about gas and major accident hazard pipelines.
The Radiation Emergency Preparedness and Public Information Regulations 2001 (REPPIR) protects members of the public from a radiation emergency that could arise from work with ionising radiation. Read about REPPIR on the Health and Safety Executive website.