Permits required for outdoor fitness training
Are you a personal trainer, looking to train your clients in parks and open spaces?
Our parks are used by people of all ages for fun and recreation. The new Outdoor Fitness Training Permit gives personal trainers the exciting opportunity to deliver fitness activities in a wide range of attractive locations. Organised 1-to-1 or group sessions can also be great for fitness and socialising.
Permits will be required from 17 August
If you wish to use the parks and open spaces managed by Wokingham Borough Council for personal training, or to run group fitness or workout sessions, you must have had a permit as of Monday 17 August 2020.
Why are permits needed?
We issue permits to operators to ensure that:
- Ability to access and use public open space is preserved for all visitors
- Park visitors can benefit from, enjoy and engage in fitness training in a variety of outdoor environments
- Fitness and similar operators hold appropriate qualifications (based on industry best practice), and hold public liability insurance to the value of £10 million (REPS recommended)
- Appropriate risk assessments including Covid-19 and first aid plans have been conducted by the trainer and shared with the Sport and Leisure department
- The permit does not apply to classes such as martial arts, yoga, Pilates, dance classes or children’s exercises
If you wish to set-up and host group session as stated above this would come under pitch/space hire. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
We are required to carry out the following checks to ensure you are fully certified:
- Background checks known as the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) – trainers must supply relevant copies of individual checks if working with children and vulnerable adults
- Qualifications - copies of Personal Training certification at REPs (Register of Exercise Professionals) Level 3 or equivalent
- £10 million Public liability insurance for the duration of the period the permit has been issued for
- Risk assessment - evidence that all risks have been considered along with methods of how to prevent and mitigate the risks. Please ensure the risk and mitigations for the current COVID-19 guidelines are in place
- Emergency / first aid plan - evidence that a first aid plan is in place in the event that any accidents occur during the session
We will need to receive copies of all documentation before permits are issued. Read the outdoor fitness training permit terms and conditions (PDF document) for more details.
You will also need to demonstrate the ability to conform with NHS Track and Trace during COVID-19 restrictions.
Apply for a permit
To apply for a permit complete the outdoor fitness training permit application form (PDF document) and email it to email@example.com
(Note: you will need to ‘Save as’ the document and rename it to ‘OFTP Your Name’ before you email it to us.)
To book an outdoor space for activities such as yoga, martial arts, childrens activities and dance sessions, follow the 'Sports and leisure' link on our online payments page.