How the project can help
It will help you to:
- Be more active
- Meet new people
- Be part of something great
Ageing Actively Wokingham is a project to help older residents who are experiencing loneliness or feelings of isolation to take up physical activity. Dedicated Peer Mentors can be assigned to offer full support to people who are lonely or feel isolated.
The mentor will discuss practical ways that you can become more active in a safe and non-judgemental environment. Our mentors can softly signpost you to a wide variety of activities and groups that will help you feel better physically but also allow you to meet new people and become part of a special group of people.
Loneliness is growing across the UK and we want to help reduce its existence in our older population in the Wokingham borough. If you or someone you know could benefit from receiving support from a peer mentor, contact us.
Read the Ageing Actively Activity Timetable 2020 (PDF document) to find out what activities are on offer.
- Compassion - to provide a support service for lonely people filled with compassion
- Respect - respect and empower those people we support
- Independence - promoting freedom to live life in fullness and enjoy physical activity
- Courage - recognise and appreciate the courage it takes to ask for support and help
- Happiness – Our mentors promote well-being and a sense of deep satisfaction
How to take part
We will support you along your journey from being isolated or lonely to becoming an active member of a group. You will meet other people who can help you develop new, meaningful friendships and provide you with a sense of belonging. We have activities all across the Borough and our mentors are ready to get in touch with you.
To get an application form and find out more: