[Skip to content]

In year admissions - moving to a new school

In year admissions - moving to a different school

When you make an application to us you can list up to 4 schools, in order of preference. 

  • Every address in the borough has a designated area school. This school is given the highest priority for admissions and we advise you include this as one of your choices. 
  • You can find out what your designated area school is by using our find your nearest page.
  • You can also use our directory to view a list of all the state schools in our borough.
  • You can choose any state school, even if it isn't in our borough. If you wish to apply for a school outside of the Borough you will need to contact the relevant local authority and apply using their appropriate form.
  • If you want to apply to a independent school you will need to apply to the school directly.

Admission policies and arrangements

Every school follows a set of rules when they allocate school places known as admission arrangements.  To see the current admission arrangements go to the admission arrangements 2019 - 2020 web page.

Schools performance

You can find out how each school is performing on our schools performance webpage.

Schools in other boroughs.

If you've selected a school in another borough, you should check to make sure if there are any extra forms you need to complete. You can find our neighbouring boroughs below:

Moving address

If you are moving: 

  • Into the borough from another local authority
  • Into the borough from overseas 
  • Within the borough

You should apply using our in-year application form. You should give as much information about your prospective address as you can. As proof of address we accept:

  • Solicitor’s letter confirming contracts have been exchanged
  • Tenancy agreement (page showing details of new address and last page signed by landlord and tenant)
  • New Quarter information if this is a military posting with provided accommodation  
  • Assignment Order if this is a military posting but New Quarter has not yet been notified.       

Further information we need if you are moving from overseas

If you are moving into the borough from overseas we will need to see a copy of both your passport and your child's passport and visa if necessary. 

We can't allocate a school place to a child arriving in the borough from overseas unless we have seen evidence that they are entitled to a UK state education.

Moving to a different school in Wokingham

If you're not moving house, but want your child to change schools for other reasons, you can apply using the in-year application form.

If you are moving your child to another school because your child is unhappy, we recommend that you talk to the school before deciding to change schools as this can be disruptive to your child’s education.

Moving to a different school in another local authority

If you want your child to move to a school in another borough, you'll need to apply to the borough where the school is based.

 You can find our neighbouring boroughs below:

Give website feedback

Back to top