New recycling bags
New waterproof recycling bags, green food waste bags, and blue general waste bags have now been delivered throughout the borough.
Waterproof bags to replace black recycling boxes
The waterproof recycling bags, which have replaced the black boxes, should start being used now. Just clearly mark your house name, or number, on the bags.
Why are black boxes being replaced?
In late 2019, paper and card processing plants stopped accepting wet materials. We are replacing the black boxes with sealable waterproof recycling bags to ensure the paper and card you put out stays dry and meets the new standards.
Once residents have made the switch to the bags, we encourage repurposing the boxes at home for storage.
- The waterproof bags will help the council meet its target of 70 percent recycling by 2030
- They are weighted at the bottom so they won't blow away
- They have a capacity to hold 60 litres
- They are made of long lasting materials and should last up to 5 years
- They are lighter than the boxes so easier to take back inside
- The bags must be securely closed at all times to keep the materials dry
- Oversized cardboard needs to be broken down and placed in the bags
No changes for flats / communal properties
This change does not affect communal properties such as flats.
What shall I do with old black boxes?
Try to repurpose your black recycling boxes. Do not leave your unwanted recycling boxes out with your bin collection.