[Skip to content]

Find out if you need planning permission

Find out if you need planning permission

If you want to request advice about a specific development or building project you'll need to apply for pre-application advice which is a service we charge for.

Advice on the Planning Portal

You can use the Planning Portal website to find information that will help you decide if you need planning permission:

Which types of developments or building work require planning permission

Not all developments and work require planning permission as they are covered by what is known as permitted development. Find out about permitted development on the Planning Portal.

Non-material amendments

After planning permission is granted, sometimes the design of a project needs to change. If the change is minor, you may be able to agree this by a non-material amendment application. There is no definition of what a non-material amendment is because the change must be considered against the original development. For example, changing the location of a window on a householder extension may be different to the same type of change on a scheme of 10 new dwellings.

Further information is available on the Gov.uk website. As a guide, it is unlikely that an increase in the size or height of a development, a change in the location of a development or a change to the red line in which you are applying for planning permission would be considered non-material.

Architects and planning agents

The planning process can be complex so we recommend you get an architect or planning agent to help you. 

You can find a list of architects and planning agents below:

Restrictive conditions on your property

If you want to check whether there are any restrictions on a property you can check the planning history by viewing applications on our website.

If the planning history is prior to 1998, the application is on our microfiche records. To request a copy of the documents you require, or to book a time slot to view the microfiche, email planning.enquiries@wokingham.gov.uk. Provide the reference number if you have it. Requests for large quantities of documents may require a time slot to be agreed.  

Confirmation that planning permission isn't needed

To get confirmation that you don't need planning permission you need to apply for a certificate of lawfulness on the Planning Portal.

It's not compulsory to have a certificate of lawfulness but there may be times when you need one to confirm that the use, operation or activity named in it is lawful for planning control purposes.

If you're in any doubt you should apply for one.

Back to top