11th September 2023
Local plan and planning policies
Our local plan is a collection of planning documents. Along with national planning policy this collection of documents sets out how we manage growth and development in our borough. This includes where new homes, jobs and infrastructure will be developed.
We involve the community in the preparation of these documents through consultation and engagement events. Read about our policies that make up the Wokingham Borough local plan below:
What the Core Strategy is
Our Core Strategy sets out the key elements of our vision for the development of our borough until March 2026. This includes policies and strategies to provide new housing, schools, roads, places to work and other services.
Read the Core Strategy document
Managing Development Delivery Local Plan
Our Managing Development Delivery plan builds on our Core Strategy and includes more detailed policies for development of our borough, it was adopted on 21 February 2014.
It sets out planning criteria that we use to determine applications for planning permission in the borough. To find out more see our adopted document and inspector's report below:
- Managing Development Delivery 2014 Adopted Document (PDF document)
- Inspector's final report into the MDD (PDF document)
Joint Minerals and Waste Plan
Wokingham Borough, Bracknell Forest, Reading Borough and the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead councils have produced a Joint Minerals and Waste Local Plan, which was adopted by the council on 19 January 2023. This will guide minerals and waste decision-making in the area.
Take a look at the plan and supporting documents on our minerals and waste page.
South East Plan
In May 2010 the Government announced its intention to abolish Regional Strategies, including the South East Plan. In February 2013 the South East Plan was formally abolished except for Policy NRM6 which relates to new residential development close to the Thames Basin Heath Special Protection Area. This policy remains in place as part of the Wokingham Borough development plan.
For further information see the following:
- South East Plan Policy - NRM6 (Natural Resource Management 6) (PDF document)
- Order - partial revocation of South East Plan (PDF document)
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) provide additional information to support policies contained in our key planning documents that make up the local plans. They are subject to consultation and influence planning decisions, such as the determination of planning applications.
Find out what current SPDs we have in place by visiting the designated Supplementary Planning advice page.
What is a Statement of Community Involvement?
A Statement of Community Involvement:
- Lets you know how you can get involved in planning
- Sets out how we will engage the wider community in planning
- Sets the level of community engagement we expect from developers
Draft Statement of Community Involvement consultation 2023
We are currently consulting on a draft Statement of Community Involvement and would like to know your views.
Respond to the consultation
Existing Statement of Community Involvement
The Council adopted a new Statement of Community Involvement in March 2019 following consultation on a draft from November to December 2018.
To find out more, see the Statement of Community Involvement documents below.
- Statement of Community Involvement (PDF document)
- Statement of Consultation for the Statement of Community Involvement (PDF document)
- Adoption Statement (PDF document)
Article 4 Directions
An Article 4 Direction is an area where the Local Planning Authority has revoked certain permitted development rights. Permitted development rights is the common name given to types of work that can be undertaken without needing to apply for planning permission. More information on permitted development rights can be found from our find out if you need planning permission page.
What Article 4 Directions are there in Wokingham Borough?
Details of the current confirmed Article 4 directions within Wokingham Borough can be found below:
- Article 4 Direction - Mill Lane, Sindlesham (PDF document)
- Article 4 Direction - Coombes Woodland (PDF document)
- Article 4 Direction - Whistley Woodland (PDF document)
- Article 4 Direction - Hennerton Backwater, West of Wargrave Road opposite Beech Tree Farm (PDF document)
- Article 4 Direction - Land South Side of Coombes Lane, Barkham, Wokingham (PDF document)