9th November 2023
Water and flood risk
Water Cycle Study – Phase 1 Scoping Study
This Phase 1 Water Cycle Study assesses the potential issues relating to future development within the Borough, and the impacts on water supply, wastewater collection and waste water treatment.
The Study assesses the constraints and requirements that will arise from potential growth on water infrastructure.
The Study forms part of the evidence base for the Local Plan Update, and will be used to inform decisions on the location of future developments.
- Water Cycle Study - Phase 1 Scoping Study (PDF document)
- Water Cycle Study - Appendix 1 (PDF document)
Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA)
The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) (PDF document) and associated National Planning Practice Guidance set out the national approach for dealing with development and flood risk.
Land uses are categorized into different vulnerabilities appropriate to different flood zones. Wokingham Borough has been divided into Zones 1, 2 and 3 according to the likelihood of flooding. Areas within Zone 3 have the highest flood risk.
The SFRA provides an overview of all sources of flood risk throughout the Borough. An updated SFRA has been prepared to support the Local Plan Update and future planning decisions. The documents associated with the SFRA can be found on the Local Plan Update consultation page.
Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment (PFRA)
The PFRA aims to provide an assessment of local flood risk based on information available. This takes into account past floods and the potential consequence of future flooding.
The PFRA for the borough has been produced in response to the Flood Risk Regulations (2009), and the Flood and Water Management Act (2010) to understand and improve flood risk management. It was made using information from the council, the Environment Agency, Thames Water, parish and town councils and residents associations.
Read the Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment
Due to its size the report has been broken down into sections.
- Wokingham Borough Council Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment 2011 (PDF document)
- Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment Report spreadsheet (PDF document)
- Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment checklist (PDF document)
- Figure 2-1 Study Area (PDF document)
- Figure 5-1 Historical Local Flooding (PDF document)
- Figure 6-1 Flood map for surface water low quality (PDF document)
- Figure 6-2 Groundwater - proportion susceptible copy (PDF document)
- Figure 6-3 Groundwater - flooding type (PDF document)
Flood risk and planning applications
A detailed Flood Risk Assessment (FRA) will be required for all proposed developments within Flood Zones 2 and 3. An FRA will also be applicable to sites within Flood Zone 1 on a site 1 hectare or larger. FRAs are carried out at the planning application stage by the developer / applicant. For more information contact the Development Management team.