Approval for mobile phone masts
Depending on the kind of mast, new mobile phone masts require either an application for prior approval or full planning permission.
Types of phone mast that require application for prior approval
Prior approval is needed for:
- A ground based mast up to and including 15 metres in height
- A mast up to and including 15 metres in height installed on a building or structure
- An antennae including any supporting structure which exceeds the height of the building or structure (other than a mast) by 4 metres or more
- A public call box
- Radio equipment housing with volume of 2.5 cubic metres
- Development ancillary to radio equipment housing - for example fences or access roads
Types of phone mast that require full planning permission
If the proposed development doesn't match the criteria for prior approval then full planning application is required.
We'll take into account:
- Relevant policies in our Local Plan
- The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) - visit the Gov.uk website
- Any other material considerations
We have 56 days to approve or refuse the application.
Minor phone mast developments
Minor phone mast development proposals may not require prior approval or full planning permission.