You can now apply for a Blue Parking Badge if you have a hidden or non-visible condition.
If you apply under the this new criteria your application will be assessed by looking at your needs.
Evidence of a condition alone will not automatically mean you’re eligible for a blue badge. We need specific evidence from a professional explaining why you need a blue badge.
Applying for a Blue Badge with a non-visible or hidden condition
Applicants can consider applying for a Blue Badge if they have a non-visible or hidden condition which causes them to severely struggle with journeys between a vehicle and their destination and one of the following:
- Constantly a significant risk to themselves or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
- Severely struggle to plan or follow a journey
- Find it difficult or impossible to control their actions and lack awareness of the impact they could have on others
- Regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
- Frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
Evidence of your hidden condition
You'll need to provide detailed evidence of your condition in order to support the personal comments made on your application.
Providing as much evidence as possible will enable a more informed and quicker decision to be made. Examples are below:
- A letter of diagnosis as up to date as possible
- Evidence of the progression of the condition over time
- Confirmation of ongoing treatments, clinic attendances or referrals
- Evidence of medication you've been prescribed over time
- Evidence of specialist consultations or referrals
- Your patient summary or care records
- Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP)
- Care plans from social care teams
- Social housing letters or assessment reports
- Letters from other professionals involved on your care
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) decision letters
- Evidence of other benefits received
- Contact details of professionals who can support your application
What you'll need to provide
Proof of your identity:
- A birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Proof of address dated within the last 12 months
You'll also need to provide:
How to apply
The application/account name needs to be in the name of the applicant and not the carer or parent.
The application form will be unavailable between Monday 7 December to the morning of Wednesday 9 December as we introduce our new improved online form. Apologies for this short interruption to our service. If you have an urgent application, call the Blue Badge team on 0118 974 6000 and select option 6 for general enquiries.