Housing and community development
We, like most of Southeast England, are experiencing a housing shortage.
Our vision for providing the majority of the needed housing, is through 4 strategic development locations
- Arborfield Garrison major development - this development includes new homes, 2 new primary schools, a secondary school, local shopping facilities, open spaces and roads including the Arborfield Relief Road project, an extension of Nine Mile Ride and improvements to the California Crossroads junction
- Gorse Ride Estate redevelopment - We're working to regenerate the Gorse Ride Estate in order to provide high-quality homes in a great community
- Shinfield Parish major development – based around the villages of Shinfield, Spencers Wood and Three Mile Cross, this development includes new homes, 2 new primary schools, school expansion, local shopping facilities, open spaces and roads including the Shinfield Eastern Relief Road project
- North Wokingham major development – this development includes new homes, a new primary school, local shopping facilities in a new neighbourhood centre, open spaces and roads including the North Wokingham Distributor Road project
- South Wokingham major development – this development includes new homes, 2 new primary schools, local shopping and communities facilities, new open spaces and roads including the South Wokingham Distributor Road project
These major developments will accommodate a total of about 10,000 homes in carefully planned new or extended communities, by 2026.
Local Plan Update
Work is currently underway on an updated local plan which will shape the future of Wokingham Borough. See our Local Plan Update page for more information or read our Common Concerns about the Local Plan Update (PDF document).
Sign up for our newsletters To stay up to speed with the developments you can use our online form to sign up to our newsletters. You will also see other topics that may be of interest to you.