[Skip to content]

Assessments for children with a disability

Assessments for children with a disability - social care

Local Offer logo

If your child has a disability you might be able to get help and support from us. We will carry out an assessment to see if your child is eligible.

To be eligible for services children must:    

  • Have a substantial and long-term disability   
  • Be under 18
  • Live in the Wokingham Borough

Support can include:

  • Short breaks – during the day or overnight
  • Support to enable a child with disability to access community-based leisure activities
  • Support in the home to help care for a child with a disability
  • Support to help make changes to your home and get special equipment

Please read our Continuum of Need Document (PDF document) for further details about how we assess and support children with disabilities in Wokingham.

We will carry out an assessment to find out what kind of support you need.

This means that we will look at the needs of your child and family and will consider what support is needed.

If the assessment shows your child could be helped by specialist equipment or adaptations to your home, then an occupational therapist will arrange to visit you.

During the visit they will carry out an assessment to see which equipment and adaptations could help.

What happens next depends on which kinds of equipment and adaptations you'll need and how much they'll cost

Adaptations and equipment under £1000

Adaptations that are under £1000 are funded by us.

Adaptations and equipment over £1000

For adaptations that total over £1000 you'll need to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. 

The occupational therapist will go through the application process with you.

Visit the Disabled Facilities Grant page to read more.

Short breaks help disabled children and young people to have fun, gain independence, learn and develop. While families get to take a much needed break from their 24 hour caring.

If you think you're eligible you can ask for an assessment:

There are arrange of services your chid can access without the need for a social care assessment. You can search our Local Offer directory to find other services which can help you and your child.

You can also contact the Children with additional needs (CAN) network. They provide advice and support and can put you in touch with services that can help you.

If you disagree with the decision we've made:

Give website feedback

Back to top