[Skip to content]

Preparing for adulthood: Health

Preparing for adulthood: Health

We'll make sure you and your parents or carers get information, advice and support they need when moving from children's health care services to adult health care services.

You can find out more below.

When you move to adult services at the Royal Berkshire Hospital will happen at different times and in different ways depending on your needs.

It will usually happen between 16 and 19. As you move closer to becoming an adult you and your parents or carers should talk to your paediatrician.

The Ready Steady Go project

The Ready Steady Go project is an easy to understand guide to what to expect as you move to adult health services.

Watch the Ready, Steady Go video on supporting transition to adult care.

Visit the University Hospital Southampton website for further information.    


Transition planning from the NHS 

The NHS have produced a guide to help young people to understand what happens when moving to adult healthcare services. Read the guide on the NHS website.

Transition questionnaire from Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (BHFT) 

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (BHFT) are currently undertaking a project to evaluate and improve the experience of young people and families as they transition from children’s to adults’ services provided by Berkshire Healthcare Foundation Trust.

The Trust have received informal feedback via the Families’ Forums across the west of the county and as a result, they would like to gather the views of as many service users as possible. This valuable feedback will help to inform their service development and enable them to identify any changes that need to be made. The Trust would like to gather the views of young people and their families who are aged between 18-20, so have recent experience of the transition process.

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust have worked with representatives from the Families’ Forums to devise a questionnaire and would be grateful if you could fill it in. The questionnaire should take between 5 to 15 minutes to complete. There are two versions of the questionnaire:


Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust are really keen to hear the view of the young person as well as the carer and would find it helpfulif both questionnaires were completed.

The results of the questionnaire will be shared and there wil be opportunities for service users to be involved at all stages of this project and with the future service development work. At the end of the questionnaires should you and/or your young person have an interest in being involved you can share your contact details with BHFT. 

Questionniare closes on the 28 February 2021

If you need a new wheelchair or if you need adjustments made to the wheelchair you already have, visit the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust Wheelchair Clinic web page.

The  Children's Community Learning Disability Nurse (CLDN) will make a referral  to the Adult Learning Disability Health Team if you need extra help and support. 

The Adult Learning Disability Health Team will then decide what kind of help and support you'll need.

This might mean you'll continue to get some help Children's Community Learning Disability Nurse (CLDN) to make sure your new support is working.

The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) will be invited to your annual reviews. They'll also help with planning as the you move towards adulthood.

Moving on from The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

When you reach 17 and a half  The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) will look at whether you'll need mental health support after you're 18.

If you do need support they'll help decide who can help best. This could be with the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) or the Learning Disability services.

The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) will then make a referral to whichever service will support you. 

If you're moving to Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) there'll be a care planning approach meeting to make sure your move goes smoothly. You'll be invited to the meeting along with your family, someone from CAMHS and someone from CMHT.


If you need long term medication after you're 18 but this doesn't need to be overseen by a Psychiatrist, then your GP will manage it.

The term ‘continuing care’ has different meanings in child and adult services. The young person will be helped to understand this and its effects from the start of transition planning. All related services will work together with the young person to find how they can best support them to reach their wanted outcomes.

The Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) (responsible for health commissioning) with the Local Authority and other partners will progress and manage the transition planning process for the young person. Trained staff with knowledge of the Adult NHS continuing healthcare process will provide guidance and help answer any questions a young person may have.

  • At the age of 14 - Children’s services in the Local Authority will name those young people who may need adult NHS continuing healthcare and will inform the Wokingham Clinical Commissioning Group.
  • At the age of 16 - A formal referral for screening is made to the adult NHS continuing healthcare team.
  • At the age of 17 - eligibility for adult NHS continuing healthcare will be decided in principle by the Wokingham Clinical Commissioning Group using the decision-making processes set out in this Adult Framework.

Evidence will be considered from health plans, assessments and other plans developed from the transition process.
Packages of care will be commissioned in time for the young person’s 18th birthday (or later, if it is agreed that it is more appropriate for the care to be transferred then). Staff from adult services will be involved in both the assessment and care planning to make sure there is a smooth transition to adult services.

  • At the age of 18 - Any entitlement that is identified before a young person reaches adulthood will come into effect on their 18th birthday

The young person will be advised if they are not eligible for a package of adult NHS continuing healthcare. An independent review can be requested if a young person is not happy with the decision. There may be other health needs that are still the duty of the NHS. In these cases CCGs will still be part of the transition planning process and will ensure that appropriate arrangements are in place to meet these needs.

The care package may change if the young person’s needs or circumstances have changed. No services or funding will be withdrawn unless a full joint health and social care assessment has been carried out and alternative funding arrangements have been put in place.

Plans will set out who will take responsibility for a young person’s ongoing care. CCGs and other partners will ensure that appropriate services are put in place to meet their needs.

Emergency Department

At the Royal Berkshire Hospital (RBH) we have a separate Children's Emergency Department which is located next to the Adult Emergency Department.  Young people can be treated here up to the age of 16.

Admission to Hospital

If a young person has to be admitted to hospital, they will usually go to an adult ward if they are over the age of 16.  There are some circumstances when a young person would remain under the care of the children's doctors if they are between the ages of 16-19 but this decision would be made by the appropriate clinical staff.

Transition Policy

The Trust's transition policy and associated guidelines sets out the best practice for all healthcare professionals at the RBH, enabling the delivery of a well planned transitional process for young people with long term health needs.  This policy is still in development (July 2015) but it will be available on the Royal Berkshire Hospital website once completed.

Health guides

The EasyHealth website also produces lots of useful easy read guides and videos on health related subjects

The NHS South of England picture of health website has easy read guides on a variety of health topic.

Royal Berkshire Hospital guides

The Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust provides a range of easy read leaflets for patients with communication difficulties. These include:

  • Getting help in hospital
  • Having a blood test in hospital
  • Having an x-ray
  • Having a CT or MRI scan
  • Going to the Emergency Department (A&E)
  • Going to the Acute Medical Unit (AMU)
  • Coming in for checks: having a 'pre-operative assessment'
  • Going into hospital: what happens on admission
  • Having a general anaesthetic for an operation or investigation
  • Washing your hands: keeping away germs in hospital
  • Talk to us (Easy Read Guide)

To download these leaflets go to the Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust website.

Visit the a NHS South of England picture of health website to find easy read guides on health topic.

Find local health services via NHS Choices website.

Read the NHS England Accessible Information Standard which informs organisations how they should make sure that disabled patients receive information in formats that they can understand and receive appropriate support to help them to communicate.

NHS Berkshire West have produced 2 videos about health checks. 

Watch the videos below:

NHS UK British Sign Language (BSL) video guide to how a pharmacist can help

Seeking advice if you have a minor illness

If you have a minor illness such as cough, cold, sore throat, tummy ache you can speak to your local pharmacist who will be able to give treatment advice. Visit the NHS website to find out more information about this service.

Read the NHS guide to problems a pharmacist can help with in: 

The NHS website has useful information on stay well during the seasons.



Public Health England have created an easy read guide on cold weather plan for England: keeping healthy when it is really cold.

The National Development Team for Inclusion have produced an easy-read leaflet explaining what the flu injection is and how a person can get one.

Give website feedback

Back to top