Join the Silly Squad Summer Reading Challenge
The Summer Reading Challenge from the Reading Agency takes place every year during the summer holidays, from Saturday 4 July to Sunday 30 August 2020. This year the Summer Reading Challenge is back and online with the Silly Squad. It’s all about funny books, happiness and having a laugh.
The Silly Squad is a team of animal friends who love to go on adventures and get stuck in to all different kinds of funny books. This year, our challenge features extra special characters designed by the award-winning author and illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson, who you’ll know from amazing reads like Amelia Fang and Evil Emperor Penguin.
Set a personal reading challenge
You can join the Silly Squad on a new adventure by setting your own personal reading challenge to complete this summer. The online platform will help you keep track of your books, reviews and the rewards you unlock along the way.
As always, The Summer Reading Challenge website has lots of brilliant book suggestions to get you started, and tips on how you can keep reading, even while schools and libraries are closed. There are also heaps of super silly activities, quizzes, videos, games and more, to keep you entertained at home.
Sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge on the Summer Reading Challenge website.
Join the Summer Reading Challenge
Join the library online to borrow e-Books, e-Audio books and e-Comics for the challenge.
Why not visit our RB Digital platform and download some of these brilliant stories during the challenge:
- Cookie! By Konnie Huq
- Amelia Fang and the Unicorn Lords by Laura Ellen Anderson
- Pie in the Sky by Remy Lai
- Hamish and the Monster Patrol by Danny Wallace
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Some of the benefits of taking part in the Summer Reading Challenge include:
- Encouraging children to read throughout the summer holidays
- Developing a lifelong love of reading for pleasure
- Encouraging children to read a variety of genres
- Encouraging the whole family to use resources in the library
- Helps make sure that literacy levels do not drop over the summer
- Most importantly- it's fun
Find out more
Visit the Summer Reading Challenge website for more details.
Credits: Illustrations - Copyright: Laura Ellen Anderson.