Fines issued for false information
Section 171 of the Housing Act 1996 states it is an offence for any person, knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement or to withhold information requested, with the intention of misleading a local authority for the purpose of obtaining social housing.
This includes failure by the applicant to notify the authority of a change in circumstance whilst it is considering an application.
The offence is punishable by a fine up to Level 5 (currently £5,000.)
Your legal declaration
I understand that the information on online is available to other departments within the Council including the Anti-Fraud Team.
- I understand the information provided on this online application may, if appropriate, be given to other Housing providers such as Housing Associations and other Local Authorities
- I understand the information on this online application may, if appropriate, be shared with other statutory or non-statutory agencies
- I declare that the details given for the purpose of this online application are correct
- I declare that I/We have not withheld any information
- I authorise the Council to make necessary enquiries to check information that has been given.
- I have read, or had this document read to me and I understand and agree with the details
- I confirm that the information I have given on this form is true and correct
- I understand it is very important to let the Housing Needs Team know of any changes to circumstances as mentioned above
- I understand that if I give false information you may remove my online application from the waiting list or if I have been rehoused, my landlord may take court action to evict me from the property