[Skip to content]

Report housing disrepair

Reporting housing disrepair

Council tenants should use the Council’s Repair Service request a repair to your council house.

For issues relating to your housing association property, you need to contact the housing association directly.

If you are a private tenant, you should report any issues of disrepair to your landlord before you contact us. We may ask to see a copy of your letters or emails as well as any responses.

Another reason you should notify your landlord in writing that you have reason to complain about the condition of the property is this may give you some protection if the landlord commences eviction proceedings.

Please note that we are not able to become involved in disputes between tenants and landlords over minor defects, routine maintenance, and non-essential works such as painting and carpeting. These types of repairs and services will need to be negotiated between you and your landlord.

Please email Environmental.health@wokingham.gov.uk to send a report about privately rented housing disrepair.

Before you report, you will need:

  • The address of the property you wish to report
  • Details of the problem including photographic evidence, if possible
  • Details of your tenancy including the type of tenancy
  • Contact details of your landlord/managing agent
  • Copies of any correspondence with your landlord/managing agent

Read about recent decisions relating to enforcement policy.

What happens next

We will assess your report within 5 working days (except for emergencies, in which a quicker response will be given). If we need to contact your landlord to require repairs or alterations to be carried out, we will do this as soon as possible after assessing what needs to be done.

We are required by law to inform your landlord before an officer can inspect the property and you are legally obliged to allow your landlord access to the property to carry out repairs subject to appropriate notice being given.

Specific repair issues

Sewers and drains

Maintenance of an individual drain serving just the single property is the responsibility of the owner of the property and you can report this to us if the blockage is affecting your property. For advice on blocked drains and sewers or to report a sewer blockage see the Thames Water website.

Broken boilers

If you can smell gas call 0800 111 999 immediately.

All gas boiler engineers should be able to provide a valid identity card on request and must be Gas Safe registered.

Gas, electrical and fire safety

Read about your landlord's safety responsibilities.

Disconnection of services

Your landlord must not cause any interruption to your gas, electric or water supply. If any of these services are interrupted due to your landlord's actions, you must let them know and allow them a reasonable time to resolve the problem. 

If your landlord does not take action to reinstate the supply, you can report it to us and we can intervene and may take enforcement action to ensure the supply is reinstated.

Pest control

If the infestation has occurred recently and you have lived in the property for some time, it would generally be your responsibility to arrange pest control treatment. However, if there are clear defects to the structure of the property that has caused the infestation, we would expect your landlord to arrange the pest control treatment and necessary proofing works.

Citizens Advice - infestations of pests and vermin

Give website feedback

Back to top