Our custom and self-build Register is split into 2 parts:
- Applicants meeting all of the eligibility criteria, including the local connection test, will be placed into part 1 of the register
- Applicants that do not establish a local connection, but otherwise meet the eligibility criteria, will be entered into Part 2 of the register
Applicants meeting at least one of the criteria below will be defined as having a local connection to Wokingham Borough. These are:
- Having either lived in the borough for at least 5 years and/or
- Having been in full-time employment (greater than 16 hours per week) within the borough for at least 5 years and/or
- Having an immediate family member who has lived in the borough for the past 5 years. Immediate family are defined as a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister or adult child)
Current or former personnel (applying to join the Register within 5 years of discharge) of the armed services will automatically satisfy any local connection test set.
An association is eligible for entry onto the register if each member of the association meets the eligibility requirements for an individual set out above.
Check your eligibility
Visit the Gov.uk website to check your eligibility to go on the self-build register.
Proof of eligibility
In order to prove that you satisfy at least one of the local connection criteria listed above, please provide:
- Evidence of living in the borough for the last 5 years, such as, council tax statements, lease agreements, utility bills, or any other information which demonstrates residency beyond doubt.
- Evidence of full-time employment (greater than 16 hours per week) in the borough for the last 5 years, such as, dated pay slips, contract of employment or a letter from employer on headed paper which includes your name and their address.
- Evidence of an immediate family member living in the borough for the past 5 years, such as, council tax statements or utility bills from an address in the district, accompanied by a statement demonstrating your relationship to the person named on the bills.
- Evidence of armed forces service (within 5 years of discharge), such as, a military ID card or a military discharge record, including date of leaving services.
Your evidence will need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to our offices after completion of your registration form.
If you do not provide details of how you meet the local connection criteria, but you meet all other eligibility criteria, your application will be placed onto Part 2 of the Register until we receive satisfactory evidence.
The Council has 28 days from receipt of your evidence to determine whether or not you have passed the local connection test. If your evidence is insufficient or does not meet the criteria, we will email or write to you to explain this.
The Council’s duty is to grant enough development permissions for Part 1 of the register only. Part 2 entries do not count towards demand for granting development permissions, but relevant authorities must have regard to them when carrying out their planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions.