[Skip to content]

Discounts for people in care and carers

Council Tax discounts for people in care and carers

Discounts for people in care

If your home is empty because you've moved out permanently to receive care, you can apply for a Council Tax exemption if you moved:

  • To a care home or hospital
  • To live with a carer due to old age, disability, illness, drug dependence or mental disorder

To apply:

Discounts for carers

You may be able to get a Council Tax discount if you or someone in your household is a carer.

To apply: 

To qualify for the discount one of the below needs to apply to you:

  • Provide care on behalf of a Local Authority or charity, work at least 24 hours per week and get paid no more than £44 per week
  • Provide care at least 35 hours per week to someone living in the same property who receives a qualifying benefit

The carer must not be the partner of the person receiving care, or the parent if the person receiving care is below the age of 18. 

If you left your home to provide care for someone and the property is left empty you may qualify for an exemption. To apply:

Hostels and night shelters

You may be able to get a discount if you're staying in a hostel. To apply:

Give website feedback

Back to top