[Skip to content]

Council Tax discount for people with severe mental impairment

Discount for people with severe mental impairment

How much discount you can get 

If you have a severe mental impairment of intelligence or social functioning which appears to be permanent, for example Alzheimer’s or dementia, then you don't have to pay Council Tax. This is known as disregarded. 

Apply for a severe mental impairment discount

The person must be certified by a doctor as severely mentally impaired and entitled to certain benefits. 
If you live with others, you may still qualify for a discount.

  • If everyone living in the property is disregarded, for example is severely mentally impaired, student or carer a 50 percent discount is awarded 
  • If everyone but 1 person in a property is disregarded, a 25 percent discount is awarded 
  • If the only person occupying property and is severely mentally impaired, a 100 percent discount is awarded  
  • If more than 2 people are not disregarded, no discount can be awarded 


You’re deemed severely mentally impaired if you've been certified by a medical practitioner as having an impairment of intelligence and social functioning which is expected to be permanent 

You’re eligible to receive 1 of the following: 

  • Armed forces independence payment 
  • Attendance allowance 
  • Disability living allowance care component at the highest rate or middle rate 
  • Disablement pension 
  • Constant attendance allowance 
  • Employment and support allowance which includes a component element 
  • Income support 
  • Personal independence payment 
  • Severe disablement allowance 
  • Universal credit which includes a limited capability element 
  • Un-employability supplement under the war pensions scheme 
  • Un-employability supplement 

You’ll need to supply proof of receipt or entitlement to any qualifying benefit. 

Evidence required

You will need to send us the following documents so that we can verify your application: 

  • A doctor's certificate which must be signed and stamped by the person’s doctor confirming that the condition is permanent
  • A letter confirming you receive 1 of the eligible benefits

Give website feedback

Back to top