Last updated:

28th September 2023

Council tax change of circumstances

Tell us about your change of circumstances

If you are moving house, or your living circumstances have changed please let us know.

You can report a change by using our online change of circumstances form.

You must send evidence of the change if you have it. Do not delay informing us if you don’t have the evidence yet.

Tell us if you're no longer eligible for a Council Tax Discount

If you're receiving a Council Tax discount or exemption, and there's a change in your circumstances which means you no longer qualify, it's important you let us know as soon as possible.

If your circumstances change, you must let us know within 21 days of the change. This is because any changes may affect the amount of Council Tax Reduction you are entitled to. You may incur a penalty of £70 if you fail to report a change on time.

These changes include:

  • You're no longer the only person aged over 18 living in the home
  • You're no longer a student, apprentice or trainee
  • You no longer qualify as a carer
  • Your home is no longer empty and unoccupied

Other changes you need to tell us about 

  • About any changes to your or your partner’s pay, savings, capital or other income

  • If someone has died

  • If you move house your council tax may change
  • If people move in or out of your household
  • If you have a baby
  • About changes to any Tax credits or benefits you (or your partner) receive
  • About changes in the circumstances of people living with you (e.g. starting work , children leaving school)
  • If you stop receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
  • If you start work
  • About changes in child care costs
  • If your rent increases or decreases. (Tenant Services will tell us about a change in rent if you are a Council tenant.)
  • This list is not exhaustive. Contact us if you are not sure.

Why do I need to tell you about any changes?

If you do not tell us about your change of circumstance straight away, you may lose money you are entitled to or you may get too much Council Tax Reduction, which you would have to pay back. You may also face a penalty charge of £70. Tell us about any change, even if you are not sure it will affect you. 

Give website feedback