Wokingham Borough Council declared a climate emergency in July 2019 which commits us to playing as full a role as possible in reducing our carbon footprint to be net carbon zero by 2030.
Our Climate Emergency Action Plan (PDF document) was approved at council on 23 January 2020 and lays out the initial steps on our journey to achieve net zero carbon by 2030.
Read our Climate Emergency Action Plan Progress Report July 2020 (PDF document.)
Our plan to tackle climate change
Our plan is to:
- Reduce carbon dioxide emissions from transport
- Reduce carbon dioxide emissions from domestic and business property - green bank project
- Generate more renewable energy in the borough
- Create a local plan that specifies net zero construction and infrastructure
- Increase the levels of carbon sequestration the borough through greening the environment
- Engage with young people and support sustainable schools
- Reduce waste sent to landfill
- Encouraging behaviour change
Find out what we're already doing
Environmental health and industrial pollution:
Sustainable transport - read the: