[Skip to content]

Get help if you're a young carer

Support for young carers

Do you look after someone?

A young carer is a person under 18 who provides or intends to provide care for another person.

You may not realise you're a carer because looking after someone is part of your normal life. Caring can cover lots of different things, such as washing, dressing, preparing meals, housework, or even helping to look after a brother or sister.

If this sounds like you, you are considered to be a carer. Read the information below and our Young Carers Assessment Guide (PDF document) is also available.

The Wokingham Young Carers Project offers you and your family flexible, practical help and support. Ways in which we can help include:

  • Information, advice and emotional support
  • Help to understand things and help speak on your behalf if you need us to
  • Liaise with schools so that teachers can better support you
  • Help finding support through local services
  • Giving you opportunities to take a break from caring responsibilities
  • Helping your family to find the support you need and are entitled to, so that your caring responsibilities can be reduced

Call TuVida the Wokingham Young Carers Service on 0118 324 733 or email: berkshirehub@tuvida.org to find out if you can join.

A young carer's assessment is a chance for you to talk about your needs as a young carer and the ways in which you can receive support. We can help you to arrange an individual or a joint assessment with the person you care for.

There is nothing to be afraid of with an assessment. It's free of charge and we won't do anything you don't want us to do. 

The assessment covers:

  • How you feel about being a carer
  • What you do and how often you do those things
  • Any difficulties you might have with your own health, emotions, friendships, or at school
  • What you would like to change and what help and support you would like

To get an assessment you will need to meet the definition of a young carer and also have your parents' consent. You should also get an assessment if you are doing any age inappropriate care, or your caring responsibilities affect your:

  • Physical health
  • Education
  • Emotional wellbeing
  • Relationships with family and friends

It's easy to get an assessment:

  • You or your parents can call the Berkshire West Carers Hub on 0118 324 733 or email: berkshirehub@tuvida.org to find out if you can join
  • If the person you care for is receiving support from us, the social care practitioner should ask you about having your own assessment. If they don't, you should ask them for one
  • Your doctor or school may already know that you are a carer and should refer you to us for an assessment. If they don't, you should ask them for one

A Young Carer's Worker will contact you once the referral is made to make arrangements for your assessment. This can be done at school, home, or in a cafe, wherever you feel comfortable.

What happens next?

Together, you and the young carers support worker will develop a support plan, which will show the type and frequency of support you need.

When everything is agreed we will give you a record of your assessment, and give a copy to your parents and anybody else you or your parents’ requests should be involved.

We will always talk to you to find out what support is right for you and then use a system of goal setting and review to ensure that you receive sufficient support.

When you are about to turn 18, you have the right to have a transition assessment. Like a young carers assessment, this is a chance for you to talk about your needs as carer and possible ways in which you can receive support.

If you are receiving support from our young carer’s project your young carer’s worker will explain to you how you get a transition assessment.

If you do not get support from our young carer’s worker then you should contact our Adult Social Care Transition Team on 0118 974 6000.

It would be better if your school knows you are a young carer so that they can provide you with appropriate support.

All referrals are reviewed by our Social Care Department. The only time social care will be involved is if we believe you are in danger or being harmed.

The Carers Trust have produced a free advice guide for young carers and young adult carers. It is written for all young carers and young adult carers, especially for those aged eight to twenty-five. 

You can find out more on the Carers Trust website.

Give website feedback

Back to top