[Skip to content]

Advocates - someone to speak on your behalf

Advocates - someone to speak on your behalf

How advocates can help

If you need extra help understanding how the social care system works or telling others what you want and you don’t have anyone else who can help you.

An advocate will help you to:

  • Express your views and concerns
  • Make decisions about your care options
  • Find information and services
  • Make sure the correct procedures are followed
  • Challenge decisions we, or other organisations, make

When you might need an advocate

If you need an independent advocate we will provide one for you:

  • During the assessment process (looking at what care and support you need and who will pay for this)
  • During support planning (choosing your care) 
  • During any reviews (checking that the care and support you have chosen works well for you)
  • We will also provide an advocate where there are any concerns of abuse

Find an advocate

There are several different advocacy services. These include professional services for various groups of social care customers as well as self-advocacy and peer advocacy groups.

  • Caring Listening and Supporting Partnership (CLASP) is a group that helps adults with learning disabilities speak up for themselves
  • POhWER provides Independent Mental Capacity Advocates (IMCA) to help vulnerable people who are facing important decisions made by us and by the NHS about serious medical treatment and change of residence
  • The advocacy people can provide Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) for anyone that may be detained under the Mental Health Act. The advocacy people can also help people with Independent Health Complaints Advocacy if they want to complain about any aspect of their NHS care or treatment. This includes treatment in a private hospital or care home that is funded by the NHS

Easy read guide 

Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) has an easy read guide to advocacy (PDF)

Was this page useful?
Was this page useful?
Back to top